Saturday, October 6, 2007

Friday Night Fun .. ? Sure !!

I've always been a sticker for having the most fun on Friday nights! I strongly believe that after an entire week of studying, working, cleaning house, washing dishes and the other "routine" things of life, I feel that we NEED to wind out in order to be human.

The question is, "how" exactly we wind out.


Since University, my friday nights have always been eventful. Either they would involve watching some senseless Bollywood movie with my roomates or friends sitting in the comfort of our dorm rooms (now apartment living room) with popcorn and some pop to pass, or they would involve just taking a long walk outside. Sometimes, they did get onto the wilder side with parties, garba nights, bowling nights or just late nights outside.

However, for the past few months, most of my Friday nights have been spent in the Temple, some program or the other, or cleaning up, or preparing for the retreat, or just doing stuff around, never really got around doing other things. Yesterday, I was recovering from a serious sore throat and a friend calls, lets call them F.

F: Yo, wanna come tonight to A's house to chill?
M: Umm.. *cough* no, my voice is really bad. I didn't go to work for the past 2 days because I sound like a guy. Can you make out?
F: Ya, you do sound awful. Are you sure? Its going to be fun!! We'll prolly just like hang out and then I dunno.. chill a bit more..movie maybe? Clubbing.. if you are up for it??
M: *more cough*, seriously I can't !! Besides, I have the TM meeting to go for. I'll probably come home and sleep.
F: Fine..get well soon then. We'll definitely miss you!

On the second line, I get a call from a devotee friend, lets call her D:
D: Hari Bol! Tonight is Bhakti Marg Swami's Vyasa Puja. You are coming right?
M: *cough* Hari Bol! Seriously, I would love to, but I can't talk!
D: Okay, get well soon! Hope to see you at Sunday.

However, I did have a TM (Toastmasters - Public Speaking Grp.. I run the club at the university Campus..so have some meetings for that.aah all that jazz) meeting and after that, sitting in that Starbucks where we meet, I felt, let me go to the temple and get some darshan and possibly Prasad since I hadn't eaten. So, reluctantly I took a cab and went for the Program.

And it was AWESOME! Fantastic Kirtans, Glorious Darshan of the dieties and an Oh-So-Wonderful Cheese cake!!


On our way back home, still high from the Kirtans and the Cheesecake, at the Subway station, while Keshava drummed his Mrdanga a bit, on the other side we saw a few guys who were sneaking a few Vodka shots in the Subway Station not aware of any1 seeing them. Keshav remarked the irony that one side we are playing the Mrdanga and discussing our fave kirtans, the other side, young guys, who can be out doing anything else are getting wasted.

At that moment, I was glad to be on the correct side of the Subway, the side that would take me back home..

No comments: